Circa 1820

Very nice pair of small flattened egg-shaped vases on pedestal resting on an oval base with four claw feet, cartouches painted landscapes animated by characters on horsebacks. Parts left in gilded bisque. Very elegant, rare quality.

Size: H 26 cm x W 21 cm x D 10cm

Manufactory of Schoelcher in Paris, Charles X period.

Lit: A similar pair is part of the collection of the National Museum of Ceramics in Sèvres and is illustrated in the book "Porcelaine de Paris, 1770-1850" written by Régine de Plinval de Guillebon, Office du Livre edition, p31.

Lit.: In 1789, Marc Schoelcher, dealer in Faience and porcelain in Rue de la Monnaie in Paris, buys out the prestigious manufactory of le Comte d’Artois, based on rue du faubourg Saint-Denis. Close to the Locré family, Marc knows his way around porcelain making. In 1806, the year of his divorce, he opens another store, boulevard des Italiens, which will be active until 1834. His son Victor, will work with him before becoming a politician. At the Paris Exhibition in 1819, Schoelcher wins a silver medal for porcelain pieces “as beautiful as those of Sèvres”. Schoelcher porcelain is always of high quality.