Circa 1807

Beautiful litron cup and saucer with garland of clover and rose geometric decoration. Marked. High quality.

Size: H cup 6cm - diameter saucer: 13,5cm

Sorgenthal Period, Vienna manfufactory

Lit: In 1718, Claudius Innocentius du Paquier took an immense risk and brought back from Meissen to Vienna the secret of how to make porcelain. In recognition of his achievements, Emperor Karl VI granted him the special privilege of being Vienna’s first and only porcelain manufacturer. In 1744, the Manufactory was taken under Imperial ownership by Empress Maria Theresia. Since then, the blue-striped shield from the coat of arms of the Dukes of Austria underneath the glaze was used to confirm authenticity. The production followed the latest Rocaille trend. The Manufactory enjoyed a golden age between 1784 and 1805 under the management of Conrad Sörgel von Sorgenthal. This “artistic period” of Classicism celebrated the return to straight lines and artistic styles from the Antiquity. During the Biedermeier era, Viennese porcelain became a status symbol for the aspiring middle classes. 
The national and international competition forced the famous company to close down in 1864. Its extensive collection of designs was donated to the Museum of Art and Industry, (now the MAK).