Circa 1820

Large pair of Museum quality crater vases. Deep bleu ground, reserves of painted still lifes of flowers in the italian tradition (on marble plateau). On the revers, music trophy with a garland of flowers 'en grisaille'. Handles ending with bearded men' heads in gilt biscuit. Bases and top rim are gilded, with engraved decroations. High quality of the whites and the decoration. Some wear in the gold.

Dim:  H 35,5cm - base : 14cm x 14cm 

Manufactory of Schoelcher in Paris . Circa 1820.

Lit: A very similar pair is part of the Musée national de Céramique Collection in Sèvres. Illustrated in the book "Faience et porcelaine de Paris 18e et 19e siècle",p410-411, Régine de Plinval de Guillebon, Faton edition.

Lit.: In 1789, Marc Schoelcher, dealer in Faience and porcelain in Rue de la Monnaie in Paris, buys out the prestigious manufactory of le Comte d’Artois, based on rue du faubourg Saint-Denis. Close to the Locré family, Marc knows his way around porcelain making. In 1806, the year of his divorce, he opened another store, boulevard des Italiens, which will be active until 1834. His son Victor, will work with him before becoming a politician. At the Paris Exhibition in 1819, Schoelcher wins a silver medal for porcelain pieces “as beautiful as those of Sèvres”. Schoelcher porcelain is always of high quality.